macOS Official Release Delayed, Experimental Client Available

I was able to download the client using the workaround described above. It opens and I can tinker with options and stuff with my mouse, but keyboard inputs don't register - trying to type anything fails and produces the "alert" sound effect.

Note: one time I was able to type and log in, but that got a "you need to update the client" prompt, and upon closing and reopening it once again wouldn't work.

(OS 10.15.5)
"
bansiddhi wrote:
Noooooo~~! Required mac 10.15 up. My 10.13 iMac mid 2011 is crying.

You aren't the only one. I've got a hackintosh built specirically for gaming, complete with a 1080 Ti, and because of what Apple has done with nVidia in blocking them from making drivers, I can't go past 10.13.6. In making 10.15 the hard cutoff, GGG has kept a lot of us out. I won't blame them entirely, as Apple's SDKs will only target so far back. If GGG was using XCode 12 beta to build this client against, then they may have been forced into 10.15+ only. But only a tiny sliver of Mac users are on that OS and most Mac gamers in the know are not, primarily because of the 32-bit kill-off that occurred with 10.15 that wiped out 95% of the available games in one fell swoop.

I suspect GGG is going to find Mac development even more stressful than console development, if for no other reason than Apple abandoning their OSes after just one year, and no longer providing bugfixes or graphics driver updates as a result. Both the end user and GGG themselves are stuck in a never ending game of cat and mouse in that regard.

"
Zenryhao wrote:
I was able to download the client using the workaround described above. It opens and I can tinker with options and stuff with my mouse, but keyboard inputs don't register - trying to type anything fails and produces the "alert" sound effect.

Note: one time I was able to type and log in, but that got a "you need to update the client" prompt, and upon closing and reopening it once again wouldn't work.

(OS 10.15.5)

Yeah, this is an experimental build, so it's going to have some teething pains. This is their first real foray into macOS so I'm expecting quite a few stumbles. Whether or not the hard lock to 10.15 or later prevents significant player growth is up in the air, but it certainly isn't going to help them in any way.

Even if I can't play on my currently overkill setup in macOS, I still wish GGG the best. They're going to need all the luck they can get on this side of the fence.
Well i'm done testing it on my 2015 macbook pro. I couldn't find any option to make it full screen.

When the game launched I couldn't see my character or any of the ground around. I changed textures from high to mid and this fixed.

So then I ran a map, there were only a couple plain freezes but yeah I wouldn't play hardcore with this, the freezes are long enough to kill you.

There was however this weird little stuttering/delay I never get running on windows bootcamp on the same mac, let alone a gaming PC.

The map tiles sometimes blacked out, disappeared, this didn't seem to cause any freezes though.

Idk, I guess it's playable if it could be full screen, just go a beefier build for those freezes or have a lot of range.

I feel like a summoner character could be okay with this since you don't have to worry about delays between your actions.

[Edit]So you can make it full screen by clicking the green triangle icon manually, you can see it if you drag the corner of the screen.
Last edited by Eclaer on Sep 18, 2020, 12:23:32 AM
"
I suspect GGG is going to find Mac development even more stressful than console development, if for no other reason than Apple abandoning their OSes after just one year, and no longer providing bugfixes or graphics driver updates as a result. Both the end user and GGG themselves are stuck in a never ending game of cat and mouse in that regard.

I agree with this, I chose not to update to Catalina when I heard about it due to all the bugs apple leaves and I was shocked since it felt like yesterday I just updated to mojave & I was comfortable with it. Apple releases a new OS every year... this is really ridiculous, especially if they don't even make major or innovative changes to it. It really just cuts support off for past applications. For what? Publicity and attention? Why not care about the consumers.

Your specs sound more powerful than my macbook pro, it would be nice to see a stable version of PoE running on that but sadly due to Apple's unwillingness to support gamers you may not be able to anytime soon.

It also sounds like they don't care about developers either, it sounds asinine to only let them use a development platform with the latest operating systems. I also remember the fortnite fiasco.

"

I suspect GGG is going to find Mac development even more stressful than console development, if for no other reason than Apple abandoning their OSes after just one year, and no longer providing bug fixes or graphics driver updates as a result. Both the end user and GGG themselves are stuck in a never ending game of cat and mouse in that regard.

I believe in GGG & have faith in their development, hopefully they never have to raise the MacOs after Catalina for quite some time, cause although I decided to spend 8gb upgrading to test PoE, I doubt i'll do it again in the next couple years unless I purchase a macbook pro that comes with the new OS. Their mac market could grow but for now I think you're correct in saying it cuts off a huge percentage of mac users.

I'm going back to PC, but i'll post my specs for anyone curious.

MacOs: Catalina 10.15.6
RAM: 8gb 1867 MHz DDR3
SSd: 250gb
GPU: Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
Processor: 2.7 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

not being able to select your resolution is mind blowing to me thats its not in the Mac Client
"
SquishyTia wrote:

You aren't the only one. I've got a hackintosh built specirically for gaming,...

This is baffling.
Why would you chose MacOS as a gaming platform. I mean, yes, Windows sucks, but as far as I am aware, it's still the best OS for Gaming.

Well, I still hope you get it to play PoE eventually. Good luck.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
I suspect that it doesn't use my dedicated graphic card when playing. There are no options to select anything, not even resolution (which is set to medium as default when not enought GPU memory is available. I'm running a MacBook Pro "15 inch with a dedicated Radeon Pro 555 2GB. That was enough to play it when booted in windows...
"
Mikrotherion wrote:
"
SquishyTia wrote:

You aren't the only one. I've got a hackintosh built specirically for gaming,...

This is baffling.
Why would you chose MacOS as a gaming platform. I mean, yes, Windows sucks, but as far as I am aware, it's still the best OS for Gaming.

You probably never play on a Mac with 5K resolution and extrem stability (D3 and many others).
I don't say you need to buy a Mac, but if you have allready one.... why should I spend money to buy a device when I have one that can already do it ?

And I'm not even asking you what you're doing here.... I feel like I'm seeing someone on the side of the highway waiting for a accident....
"
Mikrotherion wrote:
"
SquishyTia wrote:

This is baffling.

I do my work in OS X and that operating system affords me the most options for accessibility. In fact, it is the only option for accessibility in WoW since Blizzard uses DX12 and it has no exclusive fullscreen option like it used to in DX11/OpenGL. In OS X their platform dev is able to force the game window to a higher strata than the desktop, thereby avoiding desktop composition. It's sort of a hacky way to achieve accessibility for folks like me, but it can be done (and it only took them two years to figure this out!). I had controller + mouse combo support for World of Warcraft working for fifteen years, but only in OS X as I could never get it properly working in Windows.

I use Windows for every game except WoW and D3, and was hoping PoE would run there too. Alas, being locked to 10.15+ means I'd have to purchase a subpar GPU since none of the supported AMD GPUs are very good, with the 1080 Ti beating out nearly all of them. If not for Apple blocking nVidia I'd be on 10.15 already.

"
maistel wrote:
You probably never play on a Mac with 5K resolution and extrem stability (D3 and many others).
I don't say you need to buy a Mac, but if you have allready one.... why should I spend money to buy a device when I have one that can already do it ?

And I'm not even asking you what you're doing here.... I feel like I'm seeing someone on the side of the highway waiting for a accident....

Most of Apple's success with their high resolution displays lies in their coding for "Retina" resolutions. They aren't native 1:1 pixel mappings. The pitiful GPUs inside "real" Macs can't handle that. That's why I went hackintosh, for more oomph on both the CPU and GPU front. My old Mac Pro 1,1 (flashed to 2,1 status) lost support in WoW long ago and I had no choice but to either get their Trash Can Pro or go hackintosh. I went the latter and have overkill for nearly every Mac game out there.
"
SquishyTia wrote:
It would have been nice to get the system requirements out prior to putting this app up. Putting the hard cutoff at Catalina (10.15) leaves a lot of users out of the fold, myself included. Anyone using nVidia hardware is boned. Guess I'm stuck sticking with the Windows version.

Yup lots of Mac users do not use the latest OS I think they should have aimed it at 10.11 and above at minimum, so I am one of the boned unless I load it onto a laptop which I really do not like using for game playing.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info