macOS Official Release Delayed, Experimental Client Available

Haven't spend much time yet, but running with MacOS 11.0b6. (Big Sur)

Used
After download and open the .dmg file, copy Path of Exile folder to applications, don't run it yet.

Open terminal
Type or paste the following
xattr -c /Applications/Path\ of\ Exile/Path\ of\ Exile.app

Now click on Path of Exile application in the folder and it will start the lengthy install. (24.77 GB download)
Is this correct? Cannot run it on OS 10.14?

Thats unfortunate, 10.15 won't run most of my other games. The 32bit issue.
"
RockyWaist wrote:

Maybe dual partition?

https://macpaw.com/how-to/dual-boot-catalina-mojave

Just downloaed this in the last half an hour, tried to run it on a laptop, the client tries to connect but all I get is a general failure 267.

Last edited by Washac on Sep 18, 2020, 7:37:23 AM
"
Washac wrote:

Just tries to use this on a laptop, the client tries to connect but all I get is a general failure 267.

Business as usual then.

Same thing here on a 16 inch MBP
"
Washac wrote:
Yup lots of Mac users do not use the latest OS I think they should have aimed it at 10.11 and above at minimum, so I am one of the boned unless I load it onto a laptop which I really do not like using for game playing.

They can't aim for 10.11. All XCode SDKs now target 10.12.6 at a bare minimum, and the newest one can't target anything prior to 10.13.6. That's Apple's way of cutting off support (i.e. planned osbsolescence). 10.11 couldn't be used anyway because Metal was so unbelievably buggy in that OS version that if game devs had a choice they used OpenGL instead. PoE doesn't use OpenGL, it uses DX12 and Vulkan, and presumably Metal in OS X (there is no mention of MoltenVK by GGG so that's why I didn't include it as an API in use). The version of Metal in 10.13.6 had a lot of bugfixes and had Metal GPU Family 2 support (nVidia Maxwell/Pascal or AMD R5xx series and later). nVidia GPUs required the Web Drivers as Apple's built in ones didn't support Maxwell or Pascal GPUs.

"
Nightwind4 wrote:
"
RockyWaist wrote:

Maybe dual partition?

https://macpaw.com/how-to/dual-boot-catalina-mojave

Some of us with nVidia hardware (hackintosh or Mac Pro 4,1/5,1) can't run Catalina due to lack of drivers from nVidia, which is forced by Apple not notarizing them. That's why many of us want 10.13.6 target support added in instead of a forced 10.15 or later scenario like we have now. Unfortunately, as much as I hate to say it, the reality is that GGG may be forced to use XCode 12's SDK to build against just to support a "fat" x64/ARM64 binary so users of Apple's new ARM machines will be able to play the game too. PoE's entrance during Apple's transition really screws things up for OS X users on all sides.
"
Nightwind4 wrote:
Haven't spend much time yet, but running with MacOS 11.0b6. (Big Sur)

Used
After download and open the .dmg file, copy Path of Exile folder to applications, don't run it yet.

Open terminal
Type or paste the following

Now click on Path of Exile application in the folder and it will start the lengthy install. (24.77 GB download)

Thanks! this worked for me after General 267 error, now downloading client. We'll see what happens after that.
Last edited by backyardempire on Sep 18, 2020, 7:43:57 AM
getting

General failure, error code = 267

While trying to update.

does not help

getting

While trying to update.

does not help

p.s. MacBook 15 inch 2018 if it will help
"
Arutyun1612 wrote:
getting

While trying to update.

does not help

p.s. MacBook 15 inch 2018 if it will help

P.P.S. Doing the steps above and then DELETING the Contents.ggpk file, then running the Path of Exile.app did help.

Started updating the whole patch now

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info