Massive CPU LAG spikes. Please help.

Found a fix. At least it worked for me on my I7-4790.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xq0GJLJdIs

I didn't do any of the optimizations but the one that starts at about 5 minutes where you edit the registry to prioritize games. It fixed all of the CPU spiking from 5 ms to infinity and causing stuttering.

I've been through so many forums/ reddit subthreads and I didn't want to download some 3rd party tool.

This simple regedit fixed the CPU throttling. I haven't tried it in other games yet but the overall way poe feels now tells me it probably sped up a lot of shit.

Good luck gamers!

Edit: I did notice on my machine that the path was a little different to the WindowsNT folder but you should be able to find it in your reg no problem. The other folders are inside that one. I think the microsoft folder was an unnecessicary step on my machine. Just find the windowsNT and do what he says for the priority settings.

Last edited by ImMobile2010 on May 14, 2022, 4:06:30 PM
didnt fix it for me, but made it MUCH better.

thx! <3
"
MrVaad wrote:
Do you see a spike in the shader line when you have those problems ?

You can try to empty the shader cache (and minimap cache while you're at it). You'll get some slowdowns until the cache is rebuilt.

And check the cpu usage per core like i explained in my previous post.

This actually worked for me, was having awful lag in town or heavily populated maps, etc. The only thing I did differently was delete all Cache folders and then verifying game files through Steam. I do not know if this will work with stand-alone though.
I apologize if this is considered a necro but I have some questions and solutions. I figure it would be better to continue consolidating potential solutions rather than make a new post.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My specs:

i7 7700k
MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z 8GB
32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz (i think)
Displaying at 1440p on an MSI Optix MAG274QRF 165hz with Gsync compatible
Running all settings to minimum, even the ones that state they won't grow exponentially with the amount of mobs, I'm just trying to remove any potential issue.
I have turbo, speedstep and speedshift all turned off running at 4.2 GHz
All cores should be unparked but its been awhile since I messed with that
I plan on trying an overclock to at least 4.7 GHz since my CPU is a bottle-neck.

Solutions:

-Turning off the sound effects still works, it's a huge boost to FPS and helps reduce the calculations required for large packs and instances such as Bane *popping* the mobs all at once. Still this is only a band-aid fix.

Gsync
I've extensively tested the way Gsync works with PoE in Borderless Windowed vs Fullscreen. Without boring everyone to death I'll summarize as quickly as I can.
Fullscreen is without a doubt the best solution as I'm sure you all know, for any game. Unfortunately, PoE is not the kind of game you want in Fullscreen since we are always checking PoB, trading, all kinds of stuff. However I've been running maps in Fullscreen lately because regardless of the slight FPS boost, it reduces an issue with Gsync where Borderless Windowed + multiple monitors. It will cause the Gsync to sort of mistakenly use Gsync on other windows while playing and reduce PoE FPS to your other windows. When this happens I have to alt tab in and out of PoE to *reset* the Gsync.

Another issue with Borderless: If I recall correctly Borderless Windowed means that you are limited by the Desktop Windows Manager (DWM) and thus are forced to use Vsync. There's a post titled "Demystifying Fullscreen Optimizations" where the author states Microsoft is working to make Borderless Windowed better by giving control back to the game, rather than the DWM. If anyone knows whether this is confirmed? Their troubleshooting tips list disabling this Fullscreen Optimization but I haven't tried it.

Did not work:

Turning off the multi thread did not help, it felt immediately noticeable that not only fights but the game in general was suddenly sluggish.

The in game setting for dynamically changing the resolution to maintain 60fps seems to do nothing. I assume that's because I never go below 60fps so it doesn't engage the parameters?

Dynamic Culling seems to have little benefit as well.

My Questions:

Will an i7 12700K or higher completely remove the performance issues? Like I said, I'm not having FPS issues. It's purely a "feeling" a juttering, spikey, laggy hell that only erupts during big fights with a lot of mobs. It is insanely aggrivating because I spend way too much time trying to fix this rather than play the season. I'm shopping for a new rig but it would be helpful to know if more people with better builds than I, also have performance issues.

Rambling:

I'm not sure what the problem is, am I too sensitive to lag/frame drops if I'm maintaining 120-160 fps, stable ms and still feel laggy?

For reference I watched a replay and my graph looks spikey but the CPU ms is solid at 6ms along with the GPU and game is 11ms.

The only thing that really seems to be making a ruckus is the shader cache jumps everytime a mob enters the screen, I'm not sure if the previously proposed solution to delete my shader cache in Appdata would solve this problem.

Sorry for being so verbose but I've spent at least 20 hours this season just troubleshooting any possible solutions.
Any advice is appreciated.

hey guys I had the exact same problems nothing did anything for me and then I realized I changed so much stuff maybe it's better if I revert them all back, so I went into documents and deleted the Path of Exile folder (that's AFTER I made a backup of the file just in case nothing changed) and to my surprise it actually runs smoother than before ! Barely any spikes and I could for the first time have 3 harbingers on the screen with a fps above 4.
I'm having the same issues.. Tried a lot of the fixes and a few things seem to temporarily help (i.e. switching between DirectX and Vulkan, adjusting Registry Edit settings, disabling engine multithreading, etc.), but nothing is actually resolving the problem. After a few maps it's back to the same CPU issues. Task manager is only using 15%-20% CPU but POE is jumping from 10MS - 2k MS. It's getting too frustrating and to the point it's unplayable. I need to find another game :(
Rollback of the patch has fixed all my CPU issues
"
MrVaad wrote:
"
loldatgame wrote:
"
MrVaad wrote:
Do you see a spike in the shader line when you have those problems ?

You can try to empty the shader cache (and minimap cache while you're at it). You'll get some slowdowns until the cache is rebuilt.

And check the cpu usage per core like i explained in my previous post.

how can you empty shader cahce and minimap cache?

You can erase the following folder's content (type this in the explorer's address bar):
%appdata%\pathofexile

%appdata% will be automatically replaced by windows and should correspond to something like c:\users\[your windows account]\roaming

Don't do this too often as it contains the minimap cache and the shader cache. You will probably have some stutters until the cache is big enough again.

This fixed my issue, thank you
Hello, all of the victims of this awesome game) I've got a problem shown on pictures:, .

When Engine Multithreading is on, game freezes for a 50-200 miliseconds every 1-6 seconds. In a hard battle situations, wthen FPS drops much (to about 40-30 fps), freezes dissapears, but in Hideout or even login screen, game freezes.
Disabling Engine Multithreading removes all of spikes, but in hard battle situation FPS may drop realy low (~3 FPS).

Ive tried everything, peolple offered in this thread, but nothing helped significaly.

What HELPED A BIT me, is program "BES – Battle Encoder Shirasé". Press "Target", choose PathofExile.exe, press "limit this", press "yes". Then "Control", top scroller to most left position (-1%), then "Awake once in every" type "2".
This "hack" does not cure my CPU latency completely, but freezes kinda dissapears. At least i can play)

My notices: only thing, that helps completeley is disabling multithreading, but its not an option at all( To reach at least something near good result, i need to diasable 13 of 16 cores in TaskManager, which is not an option too( In continious system load via shooting Tornado Shot in h/o wtith 12 arrows, my fps becomes ~40, but CPU latency becomes realy smooth.

My PC:
Intel Xeon e2650 v2 processor with 8 cores, 16 threads - 3.0 GHz: GTX 750ti: 32GB RAM: SSD 128GB (PoE installed on SSD).
Last edited by o0AlanW0o on Aug 28, 2022, 9:25:59 AM
Problem is still actual! My little brother uses i5 2500 (4T, 3.4GHz) and poe works perfectly.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info