PoE's ultimate issue is the Beta never stopped

"
Phrazz wrote:
"
R3b00t wrote:
Also, stop pretending gems are not viable just because they are not the best possible combination out of thousands of puzzle pieces.

Come on, please?

Sure, you can beat most content with a Vigilant Strike character. Does that make Vigilant Strike a 'viable' choice/option? No, it does not. It's like entering the F1 track with your VW Polo; sure, you can finish the race and make all the turns, but is it a 'valid' option? A 'viable' option? Would you choose the Polo if you really wanted to experience what the track has to offer?

Well, depends on your definition of 'viable', I guess.

Well, no offense, but every time somebody says a lot of skills are endgame viable, there is always somebody coming out with "but conversion trap! But Vigilant Strike! " (There is HC viable Vigilant Strike build steelmage did, just saying. I think it has some Replica Quetcholi or smth ^^)

There is no way in the universe to balance every combination of skills, class, tree, and gear to be the same. Your comparison is not a good one, btw. If you go to a race, you build the fastest machine possible and not some interesting funny concept whining next to the racetrack that it is unfair because your car isn't as fast as the winners. You want to be competitive? Take a competitive build. You want to play the game, do maps and endgame bosses? Build one of thousand possible combinations. Yes, the definition of viable is kinda "vague". But your idea of every combination being equal is pure fantasy.
It's worse than "fantasy". It's bad for the game. For choice to matter, there has to be bad choices mixed in with the good ones. Players can show off skill by "winning" with the bad choices. If all the skills were equal, there would be no point in choice. If a random approach to the skill tree worked as well as a planned one, there would be no reason to plan.

The fact that people publish their successful builds and people copy them is why you're getting the idea that only those builds could be successful.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
It's worse than "fantasy". It's bad for the game. For choice to matter, there has to be bad choices mixed in with the good ones. Players can show off skill by "winning" with the bad choices. If all the skills were equal, there would be no point in choice. If a random approach to the skill tree worked as well as a planned one, there would be no reason to plan.

The fact that people publish their successful builds and people copy them is why you're getting the idea that only those builds could be successful.

While I think you are overwhelmingly right on this, I think Phrazz is talking about active skill gems. In a perfect world, you cannot make a bad choice by just choosing the wrong gem. The gem is for playstyle and yes, there are already things that cannot be balanced. A strike is different from a aoe Spell. You should be able to scale each gem in it's own way and that is already true for a lot of them imho.

Still we wait for GGGs interval of catching the absolute best to bring it closer to the rest and raise the worst to enable new clever builds that might become really good. While I think a lot of gems are viable, the best ones didn't change for a while now, with the exception of aurastackers and spectres. This expansion didn't shake the meta as expected. But that can already change in a few weeks when we hear about the new league mechanic.
Last edited by R3b00t on Mar 22, 2021, 12:26:33 PM
"
R3b00t wrote:
Well, no offense, but every time somebody says a lot of skills are endgame viable, there is always somebody coming out with "but conversion trap! But Vigilant Strike! " (There is HC viable Vigilant Strike build steelmage did, just saying. I think it has some Replica Quetcholi or smth ^^)

There is no way in the universe to balance every combination of skills, class, tree, and gear to be the same. Your comparison is not a good one, btw. If you go to a race, you build the fastest machine possible and not some interesting funny concept whining next to the racetrack that it is unfair because your car isn't as fast as the winners. You want to be competitive? Take a competitive build. You want to play the game, do maps and endgame bosses? Build one of thousand possible combinations. Yes, the definition of viable is kinda "vague". But your idea of every combination being equal is pure fantasy.

No offense taken. But no offense, everytime someone cries out about "less viable builds", there's always one guy that has to reference a streamer, playing 8+ hours a day, and been playing the game for 10 years.

"
R3b00t wrote:
But your idea of every combination being equal is pure fantasy.

Now, on the other hand, I do take offense, because now you just put a whole lot of words in my mouth - and that is very rude. I never used the word "equal" once, and I agree with you that perfect equilibrium is - and will always be impossible in PoE's environment.

Does that mean they should stop closing the gaps? We all know Blade Vortex is ("exactly") 341 times better than Double Strike - and has been since it got added to the game. Should they make them equal? No, because that is impossible. But why not decrease the gap to, lets say, 300? 250? 200?

It's not about making stuff equal, it's all about decreasing the gaps to a point where you don't feel like you're severely putting a handicap on yourself by choosing a certain skill.

If the gaps were a little bit smaller, you don't have to reference this "one guy" that did this "one build" - "once".

Do you ACTUALLY feel that Strike Skills - as a whole - are in a good enough place? If yes, I think you are very wrong. If no, then why debate/defend the situation?

Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Mar 22, 2021, 12:40:28 PM
"
WoT_Seanchan wrote:
Beta versions of video games are the time for balance changes. PoE's beta was said to end when the full game was released back in Sept 2013 - 1.0; but to this very day there's STILL "balance" changes being made hence the cause for many issues. There's a serious disconnect with the developers realizing this concept. (Set trade issues aside for this thread if possible)

What happened vs What should have happened

Happened - Current state of PoE, continuous game "balance" changes and
overhauls.

- Game works against the player characters efforts despite working
within the set boundaries of what's presented.

- Players have to make / follow builds from a limited amount of
skills because the endgame is not viable due to lack of complete
freedom to use all available skill gems no matter how good a tree
setup is or how good / powerful the items equipped are.

- One shot kills no matter how much defense methods you use or how
much of it you have in any sense.

Should have - Game balance untouched from 1.0 onwards
- Hotfix tweaks for crashes
- New content added
- Temp leagues used to test new content without changing the rules
& functions of the current game's base rules.

- Player characters able to adjust to new gems and items being
added to new content.

- Players creating vast amounts of endgame viable builds utilizing
the hundreds of different skill gems available; causing players
to be creative showing off how old builds and new builds are in
the endgame.

- Defenses are endgame viable based on how much effort is added
to characters items, levels and skill tree point usage.

When playing any video game the rules and functions are supposed to be set and outlined, with adjustments on a as needed basis like crash repairs. That base is used when expansions come along. With PoE however it's ALWAYS continuing with no base.

Spoiler
Imagine creating a building structure and setting the concrete slab down for stability, which you can add on from the finished result. With PoE's method, there's no slab down, but a constant shifting of whatever lies underneath.

In short, PoE's root issues come from the developers refusing to leave the game alone instead of treating it like it's still in Beta mode. Game has become so warped and twisted now that it's unenjoyable by the majority of it's original and newer fanbase alike. By ignoring PoE's own forum in lieu of 3rd party ones; the players are alienated.

Often when companies realize it's too late and notice a decline of interest there's always a statement put out starting with "So we've listened to the people and decided to change...." It shouldn't have to get to such a point but 100% will in PoE. Most likely when the next big game in this genre or any other comes along, that players can enjoy and will have nearly unlimited replay value.

I rarely even bother to play PoE anymore, haven't for the past month and a half cause it's a constant fight against the issues within the game itself; then it's almost like talking to a child trying to get the developers to listen and understand. Only things to really do is grind for currency and try trading. Trying to do anything else without following a cookie cutter build is otherwise pointless in the endgame.

It's really sad how bad the game is at this point. If you manage to work hard getting your items, gems, character tree to all be in sync for endgame viability; GGG nerfs it, some players cry OP (overpowered) expecting all builds to simply be only good enough for regular mobs and up to T10 maps.

Hard truth of the matter is, with all things considered PoE 2 doesn't seem to be exciting or provide hope for long term playability. After the first week or so of it's release people will go back to whatever other games around; just playing PoE 2 simply out of curiosity to see and experience whatever may be new.
============================================================================

TLDR - GGG stop with the Beta treatment and allow players the freedom to thrive and have fun without punishing them for it. Set free PoE's true potential.

Nah, I like it when people push boundaries and experiment with new ideas. They started out from nothing, have become moderately popular, are redoing the game engine, and will probably become even more popular. Why stop?
What is the value of my own life when it is taken from others so easily?
"
Phrazz wrote:

Do you ACTUALLY feel that Strike Skills - as a whole - are in a good enough place? If yes, I think you are very wrong. If no, then why debate/defend the situation?

I mentioned some of your arguments in my latest answer and I think I understand what you are trying to say, even if I somewhat disagree. I mentioned the rebalance cycle and I'm hoping for some new combinations too but..
As somebody who played Flicker Strike this league and killed everything* (Not the feared, not Uber-Atziri, but not because I felt too weak) with it I don't know what you mean. Double Strike, your example, literally erases every boss in seconds, I used it for Maven where Flicker isn't possible. I think Strike skills are not good for clearing(except Flicker ofc) but you can overcome this by either adding additional strike targets via gear and tree and combine it with melee splash. Will it clear like BV? No. Will it erase Bosses a lot faster than BV? yes. Is Double Strike in a good place, top tier wise? I have no clue, possibly not. Does that bother me? No, I'm not a racer.
Last edited by R3b00t on Mar 22, 2021, 12:56:36 PM
I once had stacked the most dexterity on a scourge arrow character in an entire league...

a year later the timeless jewel for that build does nothing because the entire passive tree is a different shape and honestly its kind of hilarious when you think about it.
Delirium ended...
But the Voices never did.
tbh i rather always be in a beta and always have new content then never having any new content. wouldn't have played more than a year and now i'm still playing.
"Now all that's left is for you getting on your knees."
if you know thanks me:) i'm dying to find out x'D
"
WoT_Seanchan wrote:
I rarely even bother to play PoE anymore, haven't for the past month and a half

And that's the way GGG, Chris and the consulting firm want it - you log in the first two weeks, buy MTX then leave, reducing server costs

Path of Exile was based off of everything you could do in Diablo 2, including buying items off the internet

That is now gone, but all the other structure that relied on that for the balance issues the game shipped with, are still there.

The game was based on finding exalted orbs fairly regularly, easily one before maps, and often time many before mapping

That has been nerfed but the underlying system that was tethered to the exalt drop ratio hasn't ben rectified.

Finally, the game was based around a fairly common drop of Eternal Orbs

Those have excised from the game, but all the other underlying structure around imprinting slamming slamming using the imprint is still there.

GGG literally only ever nerfs and never rectifies, at all.

You can bet your bottom dollar that all the systems and uniques that got hit by the nerf bat coz of Harvest won't be re-turned to viability.
"
WoT_Seanchan wrote:

"
Nubatron wrote:
So basically you're looking for a game that is no longer supported by the developer. I think that summarizes the list of games that no longer receive balance updates or patches.

If you go buy a Nintendo and some games, you'll find what you're looking for.

I didn't say GGG shouldn't continue to support PoE. I'm saying they can by continuing to make hotfixes only and adding new content. Use the temp leagues for the beta testing of new content with players (since GGG doesn't do it internally), otherwise what exactly would be the reason for constant new patches each time a league starts and it has NOTHING to do with standard?

Supporting the game and constantly changing it around, calling it "balance" are two completely different things.

Do you honestly believe they can add new content without balancing the game around that new content?

Or when someone finds an unintended interaction that breaks the game, that it should not be balanced? Those balance changes are a big part of a game being supported by a developer and someone will get angry at losing that unintended interaction.

There are countless possibilities in this game due the layers of convoluted things. Imagine some of the broken things in the past that came out of those countless possibilities; now imagine if they had not balanced them accordingly.

Like I said, you need a Nintendo. You will never see your choices balanced again.
Last edited by Nubatron on Mar 24, 2021, 6:11:37 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info